[VOIPSEC] Odd e911 VoIP Regulatory Question

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Wed Jan 28 19:56:49 CST 2009

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 4:54 PM, Dustin D. Trammell wrote:
>
> If he's disconnecting them due to nonpayment, I would argue that it's
> safe to say that they are no longer a customer.  You left off the second
> half of that bullet point.  Here it is in it's entirety:

That's a very logical argument.  However, many huge lawsuits have
drained a lot of money from defendants with a logical defense.  The
question here is two-fold in my opinion:  What am I legally required to
do, and what should I do to cover my butt?

We have not yet had to disconnect a customer for non-payment, but this
discussion has pointed out the need for us to at least include language
in our contract that specifies that we will not carry 911 calls if a
customer is disconnected for any reason.