[VOIPSEC] Evaluating DoS Attacks Against SIP-Based VoIP Systems

Geoff Devine geoff at geoffdevine.com
Tue Aug 18 11:13:06 CDT 2009

Yep.  You've captured the essence, Brian.  Crusty.   ;)

We're always going to disagree on what I think is the fundamental
requirement of any telecom protocol.... that it be able to properly
interwork with the PSTN and the feature set humans have come to expect from
their communications systems.   SIP exploded in complexity and rogue
implementations because the authors rejected that requirement.   What you
end up with is closed proprietary implementations where the interworking
complexity can be minimized.  ...or even worse, you end up with a bloated
hyper-overspecified protocol variant like 3GPP which is still so complex and
with so many implementation options that it still doesn't interwork very
well.   It's a competitive advantage for the large vendors.   The last thing
they want is open standards where best of breed new products from
entrepreneurial companies and easily interwork with the big guys.   If I
take your "no emulation of PSTN functions" at face value, then SIP is not a
telecom protocol.  3GPP, 3GPP2, PacketCable, ATIS, any PBX vendor... they
can't ignore the real world requirements of interworking with the PSTN and
providing feature transparency for all the legacy telephony features.   We
end up with a job security program where thousands of software engineers are
using the wrong protocol to implement their products.

The pragmatic reality is that any SIP core out there is fairly fragile.
Ask any QA manager how difficult it is to make their product die a miserable
death.   It's just too complex an environment.   You end up with a
multi-dimensional test matrix with all the equipment you need to interwork
against and all the software release levels available on that equipment.
You can't test it all give the practical commercial constraints of paying
customers and fixed release dates.   It's a miracle it works in that kind of
closed system.   If you start allowing rogue SIP implementations into your
network, the complexity is such that you have basically zero confidence that
your network will be stable.   If you want to name your largest security
vulnerability, it's "INVITE of Death".

The problem with running signaling over a secure channel is that you lose
any ability to debug and troubleshoot it using conventional network
debugging tools like Wireshark.   You are placed at the mercy of your
vendors to implement reasonable tool sets on their products to be able to
get at the data.   In a heterogeneous environment, the poor guys at the NOC
have to train up on a dozen different tool set implementations at various
quality levels.   Most service providers don't pay well enough to have staff
who are up to the task.   If you mandated TLS, every service provider would
insist on a mechanism to disable it so they can actually get their network
to function.

Crustily yours,
Geoff