[VOIPSEC] Asterisk security

Diana Cionoiu diana-liste at voip.null.ro
Wed Dec 27 12:16:00 GMT 2006

Hi Michael,

In any SIP library there are 2 parts. First of all is the SIP parser,
which can be better or worse, it doesn't matter much. And the second and
often misimplemented is the transaction layer, which takes care of
retransmissions, default answers and so on. This is true mainly for a
B2BUA like Asterisk.
The SIP stack that Asterisk has now, is messing up quite lovely with the
transaction part. I can go into technical details if is necessary.
The osip library doesn't even have a transaction engine. They didn't
even bother. So most of the people have to use exosip which has a
transaction engine, but is designed for a SIP client and assume things.
When i started to design a SIP stack, first of all i had some experience
with Asterisk SIP stack, and than I've wrote 2 modules for Yate, one
based on exosip and one based on osip. After I've spend 6 months trying
to figure out how to make it work, I've realize that what i need for SIP
is a stack that can handle some answers by himself. An engine which gets
the message and is handling retransmissions and so on. And an engine
that is flexible enough to not be for a client. And also that doesn't
have his internal thread system like OPAL or OpenH323 at that time that
will fight against my threading system from my telephony engine.
Anyway chan_exosip will never go there because it doesn't deserve to be
there.
Security always means first of all unbreakable systems, and after that
it means encrypted communications.

Diana Cionoiu