[VOIPSEC] Practical VoIP Security

Tobias Glemser tglemser at tele-consulting.com
Wed Apr 19 01:38:17 PDT 2006

Tom,

since you asked for comments, here are mine. I got this book 2 hours ago
(after the book had a long travel to germany..), so I cross checked and
red the chapters I found the most interesting for myself.

Buy this book if you look for:
  - an asterisk installation guide
  - round ups how to secure your environment, including techniques like
    802.1x or PKI
  - you want to learn sth about how H.323 and SIP/RTP protocols work
  - you want to hear buzzwords of threats, but don't think you want them
    to be explained technically

Don't buy this book if you:
  - know the protocols
  - expect threats to be _explained_. Normally you have only one or two
    sentenses per threat, and some of those really need some more
    explanation (e. g. BYE-DoS etc). I know these threats and understand
    in which environments they are relevant, but for those who are new to
    this topic, they might get a false conclusion
  - expect anything really new or mind blowing

Noticeable: Discussing skype, the authors miss to clearly state that it
is unclear what skype communicates exactly. They only state that it
might not me the best option due to the "lack of information and recent
purchase by eBay". Sth. like "CERN doesn't allow the use of skype in
their network for it could potentially spy out information" would
sensitize the reader to this. But I guess that's a matter of opinion.

Conclusion:
If you're already into VoIP and VoIPsec the book might be a good
roundup, but don't expect anything new. If you are quite new to the
topic - this is a buy :)

Cheers,

Toby