[VOIPSEC] Vonage To Make 911 An 'Opt-Out' Option

Bob Wise bob at bobsplanet.com
Fri May 13 17:40:26 BST 2005

When you say Vonage account server, I assume you mean their
customer/provisioning system. The call server might also be a target.

Also...

- Zombie takeover of PC with a Vonage softphone.
- DOS attack against the ATA

Candace - could you clarify the scenario you had in mind a bit?
Don't any of the attacks against a residential service disable the entire
service, not just 911? Is this a case where someone is going to say, rob
you, wants to make sure that your 911 service is disabled so you can't call
for help? If so, seems like a pretty arcane attack to me.

It DOES seem like the admin lines as you describe it are much more likely to
suffer from DOS attacks than the main call center - maybe even just normal
emergency traffic. If I have 911 service from Vonage, et. Al, sounds like
there is a much higher chance of admin line getting overrun by "normal"
traffic. Comment?

-Bob

PS: Can the moderator fix the mailman bounce processing options to deal with
the OOO messages? Thanks.