[VOIPSEC] Key Negotiation for SRTP (Ahmar Ghaffar)

Mark Baugher mbaugher at cisco.com
Mon Aug 29 16:51:07 PDT 2005

hi Lakshminath,

On Aug 29, 2005, at 3:45 PM, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote
> MIKEY-NULL in my view is for debugging and initial deployment purposes.

Do you mean initial deployment inside a VPN of some sort?

> If a PSK has a lifetime, is that mode ok in your opinion?  I am
> thinking of the option to use the RSA mode to establish a PSK to
> amortize the cost of RSA ops (this is a very useful feature for known
> callees).  Since the PSK is not based on human selected passwords or
> passphrases, the common security issues with PSKs don't apply in that
> case.

I don't think so, either.  I'm wondering about using PSK as the
principal authenticator.  I don't understand exactly how that works in
a telephony system.

> I don't disagree that we'd need public key authentication
> infrastructure.

It's like Waiting for Godot.  Phil Zimmerman has an alternative
approach that does not require one.  That's yet another way to key
SRTP, however.

Mark