[VOIPSEC] Key Negotiation for SRTP

Christian Stredicke Christian.Stredicke at snom.de
Thu Aug 25 01:30:13 PDT 2005

Now SRTP is a RFC, this is great work and people would like to use this
in SIP dialog establishment.

I think there is a great degree of uncertainty how the key should be
exchanged. So far we have (correct me if there is something missing):

1. Statically provision the keys. Very simple, but practically
impossible and dangerous. "Goofy".

2. Use the mikey mechanism. Practically only the DH part should be
realistic. Problems here: We implemented this and found that is takes a
lot of CPU juice to answer a call immediately (e.g. answer-after=0). To
me that is a show-stopper.

3. draft-ietf-mmusic-sdescriptions-11.txt is more or less like mikey, I
was told. Should also have the answer-after=0 problem.

4. Use TLS and send the keys in clear text in the SDP. AN earlier
version of the Microsoft Messenger did this. Problems here: AFAIK only
snom supports TLS on hard phones so far. And the proxies will also be
able to see the keys (no end-to-end security). Or is it another reason
to finally really do TLS and solve a lot of other problems this way?
Rhetorical question...

5. Using some INFO in the early dialog to re-negotiate the insecure
session into a secure one. No comment...

I would definitely favor 4.

Opinions? Pointers? Did I miss something here? Any experience with the
answer-after=0 problem?

Christian