[VOIPSEC] S/MIME?

Randell Jesup rjesup at wgate.com
Wed Aug 24 15:00:19 PDT 2005

"Porter, Thomas \(Tom\)" <tporter at avaya.com> writes:
>I'm curious why S/MIME hasn't caught on as a SIP encryption protocol. Is
>it a lack of communication between the implementors and the standards
>group?

        It requires (more or less) a working PKI infrastructure.  And per-
device certificates.  Similar problems to why PKI's and S/MIME are rarely
used in other areas (like email).  Also, some sip proxies need to modify
the SDP/etc (such as SBC's modifying IP and port values), which can make
S/MIME more fun to do (as opposed to SIPS (over TLS)).

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate
rjesup at wgate.com