[VOIPSEC] openvpn and voip

Eric "Skippy" Hope ehope at intrex.net
Tue Aug 2 11:58:06 PDT 2005

Hey all,

Has anyone heard of or know about using openvpn with sip softphones?
We're trying to use openvpn to secure the voip sessions between a linux
box and one of a couple softphones on windows boxes.  The vpn works
fine, and the sip transaction uses the vpn, but as soon as the call is
established the actual voice connection tries to use the public ips, not
the vpn.  Even if that would work, it defetes the purpose.

If anyone can throw me a clue here, I'd be eternally grateful.

Details:

Client end is winXP or 2Kpro running any of a couple soft phones
including virbiage's firefly and XLite.
The server is an asterisk server (we've tried everything from 1.0.7 to
cvs head).
The openvpn setup is pretty straight forward, UDP tunnel

Eric